Faith

 Then Hanamel my cousin came to me in the court of the guard, in accordance with the word of the Lord, and said to me, ‘Buy my field that is at Anathoth in the land of Benjamin, for the right of possession and redemption is yours; buy it for yourself.’ Then I knew that this was the word of the Lord.

Jeremiah 32:8 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/jer.32.8.ESV

I love the quote from Martin Luther I believe: 'if the world were to end tomorrow, I'd still plant a tree today'. Jeremiah was inspired by God to do similar in this verse. If Babylon was to take over tomorrow, he would still buy a field today!

Jeremiah buying a field was a bit like a Ukrainian buying a field nowadays. In times of war, investing in property is the last thing on many people's minds. It was an act of faith for Jeremiah to do this.

God was assuring Jeremiah He still had a plan and a purpose for His people. Even though they were about to be exiled in Babylon, there was still hope and a future for them. Subsequent generations would return home.

For us, as aliens and strangers in the world, we might rightly think we're not to get too comfortable. Yet we can seek the peace and prosperity of wherever we're at. We're not simply to retreat into ghettos.

'Dear Lord, we're grateful for your plan and purpose for our lives. Please help us to trust you even in difficult circumstances. In Jesus' name, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Helper