Power

 So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.
Psalm 71:18 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.71.18.ESV

As I start to go grey and age, this is a great verse for me to pray. God hasn't forsaken me yet. So I can have confidence that He never will.

As we seek purpose for our lives, we would do well to mine this verse for meaning. If we know God's mighty sustenance of us in our lives, our job is to proclaim Him to others. If we're old, we're to pass on the good news of His salvation to subsequent generations.

I love a verse where Paul says to Timothy to pass on what he entrusted to him to people who likewise can pass it on to others. That's four generations of influence. If we want a legacy for ourselves, that's selfish. If we want a legacy for God's glory, that's a noble pursuit.

We mustn't be like people in the days of the judges, who forgot God and did whatever they saw as right in their own lives. We have a responsibility, as described in Deuteronomy, to talk of God's goodness to subsequent generations. May God help us with this weighty task!

'God, please help us with the weighty task of making You known. May many come to faith in You through our witness, for Your glory, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Power

Mercy

Rejoice!