Worthlessness

 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.

Psalm 119:37 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.119.37.ESV

The more I read the Bible, the less I think of the entertainment industry. I'm not saying there isn't a place for entertainment. I just don't think it should hold the place it does in most people's hearts.

I think of Rome, where people got to enjoy free bread and circuses, but were morally rotten. Much of what passes for entertainment could be described as worthless things, or worse! If entertainment is corrupting us, maybe it's best to not be entertained.

God's ways aren't boring, but neither are they simply entertainment. Often, entertainment could be seen as a distraction from seeking out God's ways. Only God's ways lead to eternal life. We're not going to be entertained to heaven.

A language app claims to teach a language in fifteen minutes a day, a questions what can be learnt by fifteen minutes on social media daily. Most of us are frittered away and wasting too much time. We should be optimising our time for the glory of God.

'Most worthy God, please help us not to get distracted by pointless stuff. Instead, may we prioritise You. For Your glory, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Helper