Mercy

 With my voice I cry out to the Lord; with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord.

Psalm 142:1 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.142.1.ESV

I love the humility of David in this verse. He was promised by God that he'd become king. Yet here he was, hiding in a cave from murderous king Saul.

If I was David, I might be tempted to feel a bit entitled. 'Where's this kingship I was promised?' he could well have thought. Yet David was a man after God's own heart, and as such was defined by humility.

Instead of demanding of God what he knew he couldn't earn, David instead asked for mercy. Mercy is where God doesn't treat us as we deserve. David knew God didn't owe him anything but judgment for his sinfulness, yet he pleaded for God to be undeservedly good to him.

David cried out to God. He didn't even just silently pray, but voiced his petition to the Lord Almighty. Thankfully, God was indeed merciful to him.

'Lord our God, we echo David's prayer for ourselves. Please have mercy upon us, in Jesus' name we pray, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Helper