Old

 Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent.
Psalm 71:9 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.71.9.ESV

I recently had a birthday; I'm not halfway to three score years and ten, if I ever make it that far! So this verse is meaningful to me. I might not be old yet, but I'm getting there.

All of us are aging, so we could all pray this prayer. We don't want God to give up on us when we get old. We trust that He will persevere with us to the end.

Thankfully, we can have confidence that God will persevere with us til the end. He who began a good work in us will carry it through to completion upon the day of Christ Jesus. He's not going to abandon us half way there.

We need to beware of overconfidence however, especially in our younger years. We can be tempted to try and do things in our own strength. As we get older and our strength dwindles, hopefully we rely more on God.

'Almighty Father, please help us to rely on You, not just when we're old and fragile, but when we're young and can easily delude ourselves that we don't need You. In Christ's name, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Helper