King

 The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.”
1 Samuel 16:1 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/1sa.16.1.ESV

Does the Lord's choosing of David invalidate my claim that a kingly model of pastoring is wrong? I would argue not. David isn't a picture of a godly pastor I would argue, so much as a shadow of the Christ, the Son of David.

When we see David defeating Goliath, we rush to apply it to ourselves and the giants in our lives. Again though, David is a picture of Jesus who has defeated the giants in our lives for us. The Bible is primarily about Him, not us!

Prophecy bears me out on my claim that a kingly model of pastoring is wrong. All earthly kings, David included, fall short of God's glory. Jesus however is prophesied as the shoot from the stump of Jesse.

Jesus is the One descended, via Mary and His ancestor David, from Jesse. Jesus is the One who delivers His people, not from a literal giant, but from our ultimate enemy, the evil one. He does so by His death and resurrection.

'O Lord, amidst the failings of worldly leaders, please help us to look to Christ as our unfailing King. In His name we pray, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Rejoice!