Anger

 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,
Ephesians 4:26 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/eph.4.26.ESV

For all the times I've read this verse, it's just struck me now that we're actually commanded to be angry! We might sanctimoniously assume that anger is sin and that we should unflappably float around like a film adaptation of Jesus. Yet Paul insists that we should be angry.

Why should we be angry? The first thing that comes to my mind is that satan has blinded unbelievers to the truth of God. I long for God to open the spiritual eyes of spiritually blind people.

Paul doesn't stop at anger. He commands us not to sin. If for example my anger at satanic blindness is directed to the blind themselves or even to God for not healing them, that would be sin. I should reserve my anger for the evil one and his minions, and not lose my temper.

God Himself is often described in the Bible as being slow to anger. That's how we should be too. We should also be fast to abandon anger: we shouldn't sleep on it!

'Righteous God, teach us we ask to be angry well. Forgive us when we angrily sin, and help us to be quick to leave anger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Family