Prayer

 May God Almighty grant you mercy before the man, and may he send back your other brother and Benjamin. And as for me, if I am bereaved of my children, I am bereaved."
Genesis 43:14 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/gen.43.14.ESV

God Almighty graciously answered Jacob's prayer. I'm reminded of Paul's statement that God is able to do more than we ask or even imagine. Jacob had long assumed that Joseph was dead and gone, but God was going to wonderfully reunite them.

God isn't just merciful. He doesn't just not treat us as our sins deserve. He's also gracious. He treats us with generosity and kindness.

Not only were Simeon and Benjamin reunited with Jacob, but even Joseph himself, who Jacob had assumed was dead. It's not always the case in this life that God gives us more than we expect, but when He does, it should inspire great rejoicing. Even in his old age, God had consolation for elderly Jacob.

I don't think Jacob is being fatalistic when he says 'if I'm bereaved I'm bereaved'. The fact he prayed shows he committed himself to God's sovereign care. That isn't fate; it's providence.

'Sovereign Father, we're so grateful for Your providential care of us. Please do more than we can ask or imagine in our lives, for the glory of Your name we pray, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Prayer