Blasphemy

 Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.
Leviticus 24:16 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/lev.24.16.ESV

The fact that this punishment probably seems harsh says more about us than God. It says that we don't revere God as we ought. If I insult my daughter's names, that would be horrible, but I'd probably get away with it.

If I insult my wife's name, I'd be asking for a slap at the very least. If I insult a police officer, I'm at risk of arrest. If I insult whoever my head of state is, I could get in trouble for treason.

The Lord Jesus Christ is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. If I insult His name, I deserve to get kicked out of His Kingdom. I don't just deserve death, I deserve hell.

There's a reason that not taking the name of the Lord in vain is one of the ten commandments. It shows how important and powerful God's name is. We need to have faith in God's name to defeat His enemies.

'Father in heaven, remind us we pray of the fact that at Jesus' name every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord, to Your glory, and in His mighty name we pray, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Prayer