Neighbour

 Let your foot be seldom in your neighbor's house, lest he have his fill of you and hate you. Proverbs 25:17 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/pro.25.17.ESV

To be totally honest, I once searched in vain for this proverb to quote to an acquaintance at university who habitually frequented my flat. I'm sure it was for the best that I couldn't find it. Thankfully I didn't remember it well enough to quote because it wouldn't have gone down well!

So I can sadly attest to the truth of this proverb. But there's probably another proverb about being tactful and not brutally honest in our rude impoliteness! Thankfully my experience of the truth of this proverb is currently in the past.

To be honest, we tend to have the opposite problem to this proverb in my culture, where "an Englishman's home is his castle" and neighbours tend to "batten down the hatches"! If it's hard to love someone you see too much of, it's also hard to love someone you hardly ever see!

We have another English saying, that's similar to this proverb. We say that "familiarity breeds contempt". In other words, we can grow to hate those we see too much of. Sadly it's often the people we're closest to that we hurt the most.

"Heavenly Father, thank You that we're always welcome with You. Help us however to not
overstay our welcome when we visit people. In Jesus' name, amen"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Family