Application

 Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach, especially to my neighbors, and an object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me.
Psalm 31:11 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/psa.31.11.ESV

It's tempting when reading Scripture to immediately try and apply it to ourselves. Do I relate to the Psalmist here, for example? That's not a very good approach however.

Firstly, we have to think of the author's intentions. The Psalmist clearly wasn't in a good place in this verse. So we read the context to try and see how he dealt with it.

Secondly, and most importantly, we try and see what the Holy Spirit is communicating about the Lord Jesus Christ, who applied all Scripture to Himself on the road to Emmaus. He even quoted this Psalm on the cross- 'into Your hands I commit my Spirit'. It's clearly Messianic.

By all means we can and must apply Scripture to ourselves. Not however until we've understood the original context and what it tells us about Jesus. It's all about Him, not us!

'Our Father in heaven, thank You that there's hope for us in Christ when all seems lost. Help us to centre our lives on Him, not ourselves, for Your glory and praise we pray, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Power

Follow!