Work

 So I saw that there is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his work, for that is his lot. Who can bring him to see what will be after him?
Ecclesiastes 3:22 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/ecc.3.22.ESV

Ecclesiastes is an unusual book within the Bible. Within a library of books about the meaning of life, here is a book about the apparent meaninglessness of life. Yet even within this rather pessimistic book, there are beams of light within it.

There's no point being negative, grumbling and bemoaning our work. We have to work, whether in the home, or the office, or wherever else. There are exceptions who are unable to work, but maybe even they can work at praying for those who care for them.

So considering the fact that we must work if we're able, we may as well make the most of it and seek to enjoy it. God created work before the fall, so there's nothing wrong with it in and of itself. Of course, because we've rebelled against God, work has become burdensome, but we can still find fulfilment in it.

One of the apparently futile things about work is that we don't get to live to see what the long term legacy of our work will be. As a trainee teacher, I probably won't live to see what my students are going to achieve in their lives. Even though I won't get to see how successful I am long term, I still have to joyfully persevere.

'God Almighty, may I submit to Your sovereign plan in my work. Although I can't see the end from the beginning, help me to serve You joyfully all my days, until You call me home. In Jesus's name, amen'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight

Rejoice!

Interpretation